Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Day of School 2010

DSC_0845

Ashton and his buddy, Corbin.


And what a first day it was. Whew. Wish I had a pic of my sweet little Emory Anne. She was just edible in her orient expressed blue gingham apron dress with a school girl smocked in the center, big, red hairbow and bright red sandals. Alas, no picture. It was too hard to angle the camera toward my left leg. The leg that she wrapped her little body around like a baby spider monkey. Head buried into my pant leg, soft wimpers growing louder the closer we got to her classroom. This is where things got a bit interesting. The school was packed. Not only do the children go to dayschool at our church, The First Presbyterian Church of Houston (it's huge), but there is also a wonderful Private School (PreK-12) that also started back on Monday in the same building. There were a lot of people there. Cue mommy limping toward classrooms, huge belly in tow, toting two backpacks, two lunchboxes, a camera, a set of keys, a sassy girl's "bankie" and a cell phone. You know, because I really needed to carry around my cell phone to ensure that my hands were extra full. So we reach Emory's room first. She is sobbing so hard, it is a "silent sob". I am trying to find an appropriate spot to set down the, umm, 10 things that I am holding. I turn around to tell Ashton to take his lunchbox before I drop all 10 things. Ashton???? Where is Ashton?! I hurriedly step into the hallway. Ashton?! Ashton is gone. Great. After a moment of panic and yelling Ashton's name, a friend down the hall calls to me that he has already run into his classroom. Wow, good thing I just yelled his name repeatedly in a panicked voice down the hallway. Awesome. Emory's teacher is trying desperately to peel her off of my leg to no avail. I finally decide to drop everything and peel her off myself. I am in the middle of consoling her with a big, long hug and kiss, when the teacher prompts me to hand her over, saying that it is time for mommy to go. Very apruptly. Too aprubtly for my taste. I gather my things off the floor and turn to leave with tears in my eyes, as my sweet baby girl is just continuing to wail. I compose myself and head into Ashton's classroom. And in the middle of all chaos that is mommies hugging their little ones, trying not to cry, making sure the teacher understands their children's specifics needs and desires, sits Ashton. Quitely playing.

DSC_0850

He looks up and sees me, smiles big and says, "Well, hey, mommy! Can I stay here all day?!" After a little talk about running off and out of mommie's eyesight, I assure him that he can stay all day. My sweet man. He has come a long way since his very first day of school. I know Emory will continue to improve. And I know that I will now be consolidating everything that I need to carry to the classrooms in the mornings. Jeez. I cannot wait to see how much my children are going to grow and learn this year!

2 comments:

MacK + Shawn said...

i just can't imagine that first time of dropping ea off. what crazy + mixed up emotions it must be! how long do you have until you pop, must be soon now, right?! so excited for you, such a good momma!

Jill said...

We have the exact same story. No lie. Kent was amazing, Lilly was a mess. You really need to move here so our identical kids can play together. Hopefully your 3rd will be a wonderful as ours :)