Thursday, February 11, 2010

Whoopie Sandwiches

I started out making these for Ashton's class. Tomorrow is the Valentine's Party at his school. His *first* Valentine's party. (cue mommy getting so excited over Ashton's first V day party that she attempts something WAY over her head.) Everything started off great.
First, I mixed these up in a mixing bowl.
Then, I creamed these together in my standing mixer.

Next, I blended these in gently.


I then got festive and used this to pour in the buttermilk.



Finally, I squirted in a whole bunch of this and mixed it all up with the dry ingredients.




And then, disaster ensued. These were supposed to be hearts. After the first 5 weren't working out, and I was sweating, I decided to improvise. So I ended up with these. Yeah, I'm messy.


They actually came out looking pretty good! So, I decided to continue with my improvisation. I cut them in half and then cut off the edges to give them more of a sandwich feel.



Emory helped me discard of the little edges that I cut off. Yes, she was still in her pajamas. Yes, it was noon. It is pouring rain today and 40 degrees outside. Great day to stay in and bake in our PJ's all day!



After the "sandwiches" were cut, I "whipped" up (ha) the cream cheese icing. I added two drops of the red food coloring to it to give it this pinkish tint.



Then, I assembled.




And tried not to eat too many of the cut off edges.




They are all packaged up and ready to go for tomorrow!
When Ashton wakes up from his nap we are going to decorate and address Valentine's cards for all of his classmates. Not until I became a parent did I realize just how emotional the small milestones can make you.





0 comments: